01/05/2011

Summerhouse



Although I've always had a predilection for spanish literature and poetry, my language and literature studies (german and spanish) showed me the - very often unknown - 'grandeur' of the german literature. From my point of view, the german autors and linguistics are among the bests in the world: next to the world wide known Goethe, Gunter Grass and Alfred Döblin, nowadays you can find - the still very young - Juli Zeh, who writes complicated and profoundly accurate novels. 


I have to admit, however, that I will always be more attracted to spanish or latin american writers. That is, from the moment that I discoverd the poetry from Pablo Neruda, a chilean poet, I was literally blown away by his flawless ability to express what we all feel when we are in love .  Meanwhile, I have - with the exception of 2 - all the collections of poetry which have ever been published by him. If you don't know Pablo Neruda (yet), I warmly suggest you to read one or two of his poems: you will instantly understand what I mean :).


In this moment I am reading a novel by the dutch writer Herman Koch called "Zomerhuis met zwembad". It has not been translated yet and I'm still figuring out what I really think of it - maybe I'll just have to read it until the end first :). What kind of poetry/literature/autors do you like?

Saar

6 comments:

  1. Arnon Grunberg. John Irving. Willem Elsschot. William Shakespeare. Tom Lanoye. ...

    "Zomerhuis met zwembad" net kado gekregen, ligt klaar om gelezen te worden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose you've already seen "Il Postino"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) off course! Zomerhuis met zwembad is best wel een gek boek over een huisarts, daarmee waarschijnlijk dat je hem gekregen hebt :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. grappig, ik heb ook die voorliefde voor zuid-amerikaanse schrijvers, vooral voor marquez en allende. ik verslind echt elk boek van hen.
    Misschien heb jij nog andere (minder bekende) aanraders? binnen een maand zijn de examens gedaan en kan ik weer in de lectuur duiken :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andere aanraders zijn zeker Nobelprijswinnaar Mario Vargas Llosa (moeilijk geschreven maar heel pakkend) en Carlos Ruiz Zafón (ken je waarschijnlijk van schaduw van de wind maar zijn spel van de engel is minstens even goed :)). En er zijn er nog zoveel anderen: de kortverhalen van Jorge Luis Borges, de essays van Jose Martí etc.:). Lezen zal je! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Die eerste twee auteurs heb ik ook in mijn boekenkast staan, heel mooi inderdaad. Borges en Marti staan bij deze op mijn literatuurlijstje voor de zomer :)

    ReplyDelete